One of the frequent mistakes that people make on the Gold Coast is simply to not have the right sort of building permit or permission before starting the renovation work or home improvements. If you are thinking about making changes to your pool, or even add in a pool then with any luck this little guide can help point you in the right direction. If you have any questions, feel free to call Absolut Custom Glass on 1300 937 902 and we will be happy to talk through your fencing questions. Depending where exactly you are with your project, you may have to either build a Pool and a Fence, or just a Pool Fence.

If you need to just build a fence, replace the existing one, or update your fence to be compliant, then you may not need a building permit to start the job. Any new pool fence or safety barrier will need to comply with laws around height and non-climb zones– you can find out more about it on the Absolut fencing blog or on the QLD government website As a rule of thumb with building permits in the Gold Coast and Queensland, you will not have to get a building development approval if:

  • You are only building a pool fence that definitely will be at the pool safety requirement( ie, you can simply be building the fence – you can not construct a large shed and allege it as a part of the fence exemption).
  • The fence will not be more than 2000mm above the ground level,
    OR – if built on a retaining wall or other structure – the fence can not be greater than 2m above the wall or structure,
  • However, if building above 2000mm, it can not be within 1.5 m of a boundary.
  • The pool barrier is inspected by a pool safety inspector for compliance with the pool safety standard. If you are developing a completely new pool or structure in your backyard, then you will certainly have to go through an approval process from the city council.This will often include getting:
  • Building approval – this is where a building will create plans and specs and after that lodge the intent to build with the local government.
  • Structural durability assessments this will involve a builder assessing not just the physical structure of the planned pool, but the underlying place that the pool will be set up into. This may include getting an evaluation from an engineer if the terrain is particularly challenging.
  • Sewerage and water supply approval – this is to make sure that you have approval for a modification to your water supply connection and any potential disposal consideration. For the most part, your builder will sort out all of your permits that you need for constructing a new pool.

If you are ever not sure if they have sought the correct permits, feel free to speak to them and ask questions. Any skilled builder should be happy to speak with you through your needs and guarantee that you are happy with the progress of the building job.

From this, hopefully you can see how crucial permits and permissions are, and that you now understand a little more about the sorts of questions you will have to ask before you start any type of construction – whether or not through a builder or if it is a DIY project. If you have any sort of questions about permits, approvals, fencing installations, or DIY Poool Fencing – please don’t hesitate to contact Absolut Custom glass with all your Gold Coast and South East Queensland Pool Fencing questions. You can reach Absolut Custom Glass on 1300 937 902